– Operation with negative pressure and positive pressure
– Precise pressure measurement
– Experiments according to Clément-Desormes
Gas laws belong to the fundamentals of thermodynamics and are dealt with in every training course on thermodynamics.
Sci-tech Expansion of Ideal Gasses Apparatus Model TH 172 enables the user to examine the expansion of ideal gases. The focus is on the experimental determination of the adiabatic exponent of air using the Clément-Desormes method.
The main components of the experimental unit are two interconnected cylindrical tanks. Positive pressure can be applied to one tank, negative pressure can be applied to the other tank. To generate the positive pressure and the negative pressure in the tanks, the tanks are connected to each other via a compressor. The pressure equalisation can either take place with the environment or with the other tank through a bypass. Due to the high velocity of the pressure compensation the change of state is quasi adiabatic. Ball valves are used for pressure equalisation.
Precise pressure measurement technology is integrated in the tanks to enable the determination of the adiabatic exponent using the Clément-Desormes method. The measured temperatures and pressures are recorded, transmitted to the software and displayed.
1. Behaviour of ideal gases
2. Precise measurement of pressures and temperatures
3. Transparent components
4. Experiment according to Clément-Desormes
5. Determination of the adiabatic exponent of air
6. Optional software with control functions and data acquisition via Windows 7
Positive pressure tank
– volume: 20,5L
– diameter: 0,25m
– max. operating pressure: 0,9bar
Negative pressure tank
– volume: 11L
– diameter: 0,18m
– min. operating pressure: -0,6bar
– temperature: 0…150°C
– pressure: 0…1,6bar (abs)