A horizontal length of material with a vertical load system is called a beam. It is one of the most basic engineering ways of supporting a load. External forces such as the applied loads and the beam support reactions have to be in equilibrium. Given a loading system, the support reactions can be calculated from force and moment equations.
Sci-tech Reaction of Beam Apparatus Model MT 073 is designed for simple experiments and demonstrations on simply supported beams. Two spring balances act as supports and enable reactions to be read directly. Three movable load hangers allow loads to be put in a number of positions.
• Bench mounted.
• Direct measurement of reactions by spring balances.
• Loads and supports can be placed in any position.
• Practical verification of equilibrium of vertical force or moments.
• Simply supported beams or levers can be set up.
• Determination of the reaction forces in the supports of a simple supported beam under various loadings; also measurement of loads and moments on a lever; validation of the principal of equilibrium.
• The apparatus consists of a beam of @1m long, linear spring balances, three load hangers, and a bench top mounting unit.
• Technical manual for student and lecturer provided.
• 1m ruler supplied
• Set of weights