– Visual demonstrations of Free & Forced convection from surface.
– Surfaces of different shapes for investigation of heat transfer.
– Data Acquisition System with sensors & software included.
Sci-tech Free & Forced convection Heat Transfer Apparatus Model TH 051 has been designed for students to study the phenomena of natural (free) and forced convection. The unit consists of mainly a bench mounted vertical air duct and a control panel. Demonstration of convection is achieved in this apparatus by studying temperature profiles and heat flux in the air duct with three alternative heat transfer surfaces, i.e. vertical flat plate, array of cylindrical pins and finned surface.
Each of these surfaces may be installed separately in the wall of the vertical duct. The surfaces incorporate
an electrical heating element, with protective thermal cut-out, and a temperature sensor for accurate temperature measurement. An acrylic window is provided in the duct wall opposite the mounted exchange surface to allow flow pattern visualization. For forced convection, a variable speed fan at the top of the duct draws ambient air upwards through a flow straightener and over the exchange surface. The air velocity, whether occurring by free or forced convection, is indicated on a velocity detector probe of which is inserted in the tunnel upstream of the exchanger. A separate temperature probe measures the in-going and out-going air temperature of the selected exchanger. Detailed Operation & Maintenance Manual is provided along with the trainer.
* Air duct: Epoxy coated air duct with transparent window: Approx Dimension (m): 1. (H)x 0.15(W) x 0.1(D)
* Fan: DC motor, 6V 4 blades impeller Velocity: 0 to 1.5 m/se
* Heat transfer surfaces: a) Vertical flat plate b) An array of cylindrical pins c) Finned surface
* Control Panel:
a) Variable control of power input to the exchanger surface with direct readout in Watts.
b) Direct readout of temperature in Deg C.
c) Fan speed variation and control.
* Digital display for heater power output
* Digital display for temperatures
* Digital display air velocity
* Controller for variable heater power output
* Controller for variable DC output for fan.